Teaching & Learning: Curriculum - Health
Course Descriptions - Grades 9-12
Course Description: Students acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to make effective personal decisions that promote good health. Students prepare to address tobacco, alcohol and substance prevention and use, emotional, sexual and reproductive health, disease prevention, and health maintenance, and healthy romantic and peer relationships in their own lives.
- What role does the media play in personal decision-making?
- What resources are available for students to make healthy decisions and to help others?
- What is the impact of addictive behaviors on individuals and society?
- How does knowledge regarding health issues enhance decision-making?
- How do respect, kindness, trust and forgiveness promote healthy relationships?
- What are the warning signs of unhealthy relationships?
Learn more about the Grade 9 Health Curriculum.
View the Grade 9 Health Framework Connections.
Course Description: Students acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to make effective personal decisions that promote health. Students evaluate information on conflict resolution, human sexuality and alcohol use, as it relates to their interpersonal relationships. Students learn the essential skills to perform Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation.
- How does one recognize and treat a cardiac & respiratory emergency?
- What skill and traits are useful in addressing conflict and maintaining peaceful living?
- What resources and supports are available in making healthy sexual decisions?>
- What impact does alcohol have in making safe decisions?
Learn more about the Grade 10 Health Curriculum.
View the Grade 10 Health Framework Connections.
GRADES 11 & 12 (Life Issues - Elective Courses)
Course Description: Students continue to acquire the most current knowledge necessary to make effective personal decisions to promote a healthy life style. Students evaluate communication skills, nutritional information and addictive behavior patterns. Students address sexuality attitudes and sexual orientation issues.
- What local resources are available to students and how to access them?
- What role does the media play in making personal decisions?
- What are the impacts that addictive behaviors play is a person’s social life, and what are their legalities?
- How does the knowledge of human mind and body effect issues of health?
- How to recognize stress and the use of various techniques in order to maintain a healthy life?
Learn more about the Grade 11 & 12 Life Issues - Elective Health Curriculum.
View the Grade 11 & 12 Health Framework Connections.