Teaching & Learning: Curriculum - Mathematics
Learning Essentials - Grade 5
In Fifth Grade: Students' learning will have a major emphasis on fraction, decimals, and percents. They will apply fraction and decimal concepts with a focus on ordering, equivalency, and conversions. Mastery of multiplication and division is a goal. Students will apply the language of geometry to classify, compare, and measure 2- and 3- dimensional shapes. All fifth graders will become the first evaluators of their work as they solve problems using multiple strategies and explain their reasoning.
HABITS OF MIND: Every student will continue to:
- learn to value mathematics
- become confident with mathematics
- become an active rather than a passive learner
- be able to communicate mathematically
- be able to reason mathematically
To ensure a positive and successful math experience for your child, the following activities are suggested.
- Find opportunities to practice math facts. For example: estimate total cost of items and change expected at the grocery store; determine the tip at a restaurant.
- Find how much time passes between events.
- Solve simple problems mentally. For example: add the digits on license plates; determine the sum and difference for any two-digit numbers.
- Involve children in measuring and changing the proportions of a recipe.
- Play card games that involve strategies.
- Investigate math web sites.
- Incorporate mathematical language in daily life.
Learn more about the Grade 5 Mathematics Curriculum.