Dear Arlington Community,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Arlington Public Schools, where our dedicated and talented staff is committed to ensuring an equitable, inclusive, and engaging education for every student. In Arlington, we are committed to providing an education that allows all students to achieve their full potential in an environment that promotes the growth of each individual student in a joyful learning environment. We believe ALL students should leave the Arlington Public Schools prepared to shape their own futures and contribute to a better world, and that foundational to this vision are supportive schools that foster belonging; connection; and rigorous and relevant academic instruction.
As your Superintendent of Schools, I believe that the complex work of educating students cannot happen without the partnership of families and community. I spend significant portions of my time visiting schools and classrooms, listening to students and observing their learning, and responding to the concerns and questions of students, staff, and families. I strive to be responsive and reflective in my leadership, and to model a learning and inquiry stance for our staff. I consider myself the "lead learner" of the Arlington Public Schools, always willing to consider an alternative approach that might be more supportive of our families, students, and staff, while also maintaining consistent high expectations for myself, our leaders, and our system.
- Continuation of progress on Phase 2 of the New Arlington High School;
- Development of a 5-Year Strategic Plan for the District, including initiatives, action steps, and metrics for success;
- Examination of new core resources for K-5 English Language Arts, to begin rollout and implementation in Fall 2023;
- Reimagination of our professional development model for staff in collaboration with Dr. MacNeal, Assistant Superintendent of Schools; and
- Expansion of Diversity, Belonging, Inclusion, and Equity professional learning and community engagement work, in response to our Spring 2022 District Equity Audit.
Elizabeth C. Homan, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Schools