Dear Arlington Community,
As your Superintendent of Schools, I believe that the complex work of educating students cannot happen without the partnership of families and community. I spend as much time as possible visiting schools and classrooms, listening to students and observing their learning, and responding to the concerns and questions of students, staff, and families. My leadership team and I strive to model a learning and inquiry stance for our staff. I consider myself the "lead learner" of the Arlington Public Schools, always willing to consider an alternative approach that might be more supportive of our families, students, and staff, while also maintaining consistent high expectations for myself, our leaders, and our system.
In the 2023-24 School Year, I am looking forward to the following exciting work that is in progress across the district:
- Completion of Phase 2 of the New Arlington High School;
- Beginning implementation of a 5-Year Strategic Plan for the District, including initiatives, action steps, and metrics for success;
- Implementation of new core resources for K-5 English Language Arts;
- Expansion of our capacity to provide high-quality professional development for staff; and
- Expansion of Diversity, Belonging, Inclusion, and Equity professional learning and community engagement work, in response to our Spring 2022 District Equity Audit.
These are only a few highlights of the work we are looking forward to this school year. To learn more, please visit our News Feed on the front page of our website, or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and X. Thank you to our families, community partners, staff, and students for your partnership and collaboration, and have a wonderful school year!
Elizabeth C. Homan, Ph.D.
Superintendent of Schools