Teachers play an important role in school safety and security. You can help maintain a secure learning environment by:
- Reporting unsafe acts, hazardous conditions, or activity that could result in an accident, injury, or property damage.
- Maintaining the security of the school building by keeping exterior doors closed and locked.
- Reminding all visitors to check in with the office before entering and moving about the school.
- If you see someone who doesn't appear to belong, ask them if you can provide assistance. Escort them to the main office where they may sign in. Take a staff member with you if you feel uncomfortable.
- If the visitor/intruder refuses to cooperate, do not escalate the situation. Monitor the intruder's direction of travel from a safe position, and call the office and give a detailed description. DO NOT send a student to the office to get an administrator.
Classroom Emergency Procedures
Classroom Emergency Procedures flipbooks have been distributed to all schools. Take a few minutes to review the new flipbooks and prepare yourself to lead your class during an emergency.
Be sure that you are familiar with procedures for evacuation, lockdown, and shelter-in-place. Review the "Teacher's Preparedness Checklist" on this page. If you have questions ask your principal or another administrator.
Students in Trouble or in Need
Review the Classroom Emergency Procedures to learn the warning signs of students who may be in crisis. Contact the guidance office, if you have questions or need assistance with a student.
Review the links to organizations and information on the resources page of this website. The resources page includes links to information on bullying, cyber bullying, harassment, mental health, and counseling resources.
Teacher's Preparedness Checklist
- Is the Classroom Emergency Procedures flipbook conspicuously posted?
- Have you reviewed it?
- Have you marked your room number on the cover?
- Has an updated copy of your class roster been placed in the back pocket?
- Do you know how to use the green and red pages?
- Have you “filled in the blanks”?
- Have you located the primary and secondary exits from your classroom?
- Do you know what to do if "lockdown" or "shelter" is broadcast?
- Do you know what number to call for help?